Friday 17 August 2012

Sick

I can now safely state that Josephs little illness wasn't the result of him having an illicit nibble on a broken piece of plant pot in the back garden but was in fact a stomach bug.
How do I know this?
He gave it to me.
I've had stomach bugs in the past and this one was easily the worst. I was writhing in pain for most of Wednesday night and once the sickness started it just got worse. I spent all of Thursday either being sick or collapsed out in bed. It was lucky in one sense that I normally work on Thursdays so Granny was expecting to have Joseph for the day anyway, I'd never have coped with him at home. It was bad luck in another way as it was a work day and I'm pretty sure that I've now exceeded my sickness allowance this year. I'll get in trouble, but what can I say? I just keep catching things and there's not a thing I can do about it. It's not as if I can somehow magically stop myself from being ill, unless I spend my life in some sort of plastic bubble and that would make work rather hard.
Today I have been recovering. By that I mean I am no longer throwing up, but still feel pretty awful. I have eaten a little toast and have managed to keep down some cups of tea which means my lack of caffeine headache has gone away, but I still feel like I've gone several rounds with an invisible boxer. The kind of invisible boxer that puts you in illegal wrist holds and really does a number on your kidneys.
Today Joseph has been... well.... Joseph. When you're dog tired and just want to lie flat, you really don't want to be dealing with a bouncy toddler who keeps trying to climb on you and knee you in your very sensitive middle. He also refused to take any naps at all today, no matter how much coaxing, singing or other sorts of bribery I tried. You can say "Joseph - go sleep!" and he will giggle, lay his head down on the pillow and shut his eyes. This is great, but it only lasts for a few seconds. After that, he is up and bouncing and generally doing the best he can to act the part of Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.
In the end I had to call in expert help. I called Granny.
Poor Granny, she must have had quite enough of me this week. I called her over when Joseph got chunder all over the bedroom on Tuesday. She came over on Wednesday afternoon to babysit whilst I went to the dentist (my teeth are fine and Joseph will be coming with me next time, he he!) and she had the little terror all of yesterday. I really needed help today, we had two different people coming to view our house this afternoon and I didn't want the house to have l'eau de sick person about it. You know what I mean, that disinfectant smell with an edge of something rather unpleasant that it's just not quite covering up. Kitchens can have a bleachy smell about them, it's a sign of good cleaning, but not bedrooms. Thank goodness for febreese!
Joseph quite liked the viewings. He smiled at the people and was generally cute without getting in the way. I take this as a good sign as he's usually terrified of people he doesn't know and screams at them. That, if you ask me, does not create a good first impression.
In the mean time, he's screaming now. He didn't want any of his naps in the day and he's been in his cot for more than half an hour. We've been up, we've played, made him laugh and sung to him. I'd feel sorry for him if I just had the energy.....

No comments:

Post a Comment