Sunday 17 June 2012

You have to Laugh

I forgot to mention in my previous post that a rather amusing incident happened while we were out for lunch. It was amusing for me at least, Joseph didn't think it was at all funny.
Forgetting that he had a big bottle of squash in his bag I ordered him a pouch of Capri-Sun for a drink. I remember them from my childhood, little foil pouches that come with a straw that you're supposed to pierce through a little hole in the top. Usually the straw isn't quite sharp enough and it wont quite go through and you end up fighting with it until you eventually manage to puncture not only through the little plastic covered hole but right through and out the other side of the pouch. By this point the whole thing has got rather mangled and squashed and the juice leaks out and more of it ends up on your clothes and on the floor than actually in your mouth.
They've changed them now. The annoyingly unpierceable hole is gone as is the silly too-small straw and they now have a little nozzle on the top which is covered by a small plastic cap. This is a good idea, if you don't want the whole thing you can re-seal it and save it for later.
It's not so good if you're eighteen months old. He kept making a grab for the cap which was just the right size to be a very effective choking hazard. He would put the open nozzle in his mouth but couldn't seem to work out how to suck on it which I found odd as he manages using a straw quite well.
Eventually he pulled it out of his mouth and gave it quite a puzzled look. Perhaps it was frustration or perhaps it was just curiosity but at this point he gave the pack a sudden and unexpected squeeze.
Juice shot out. It went all over his face and his t-shirt and his trousers. He cried as any child will who has just got tropical juice in both eyes. I did my best with all the available napkins, but he was damp and sticky and there was not a lot I could do about that.

That was Friday. On Saturday we decided to go out for a meal with my parents to celebrate (in order):- Fathers Day; Andys birthday; My parents Wedding Anniversary and my Dads birthday. I think that's all, but I may have forgotten something.
We went to The Tamarind Tree in Basildon where the service was excellent and they were really falling over themselves to keep us and Joseph in particular happy. The food was sublime, the best curry I have eaten for a very very long time.  I very much recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment