Sunday 24 June 2012

Dads, Granddads and Uncles

Every child should have the privilege of having a totally nutty and crazy father who will run up to them saying "Ooble ooble ooble!" or other such nonsense. Every child should also have the honour of having a totally mad Granddad who will spend at least an hour running round and round the garden with them, also saying strange and incomprehensible things.
There's nothing like the sheer look of delight on Josephs face than when he sees Andy doing something really really silly. Andy, it seems, will do just about anything physically possible to get Joseph to smile and making a complete idiot out of himself seems to hold no fear. Simple things work well, be they tickling the feet or rubbing your nose on Josephs belly. Even I can get him to laugh with that one although he did nearly break my nose with a flailing heel on one occasion. I'm much more careful now, I pin him down in a judo hold of sorts so that I am protected from his flapping appendages.
Joseph likes sitting on Andy shoulders and then grabbing at things he has previously been unable to reach, like light fittings. Joseph loves bath time with Daddy far more than with Mummy. I can tell this by the sheer level of noise - the thumps, bumps and tidal wave splashes that indicate fun. Also, there's a lot of giggling.
Our roles are becoming more defined. When Joseph wants fun and play he is far more likely to go to Andy if he is available. That's not to say that I don't play with him but he quite often leaves me with the impression that Daddy would have been more fun had he been there. He looks at me as if to say "I know you're trying Mum, but I'm not convinced your heart is really in this. Your embarrassment is starting to show."
I am the carer, the cuddler and soft place. I can be pushed around a bit, but I am the chief provider of food - and treats! I am the one that is run to when life becomes scary.
Alas, my poor brother has a strange effect on my son. We saw him briefly yesterday as he was passing through due to work. Last time Joseph spent any time near my brother he wasn't too happy and cried. This time, he cried again. I don't know why my brother causes this reaction. Usually when he's around someone he's not to sure of he just tends to act a bit shy. I'd say that it was the glasses, but Andy has a very similar pair. Perhaps it's the beard.
Anyway, Joseph was scared. He wanted his Mummy. Granny would not do, Granddad would not do. He wanted me and nobody else and clung to me in a similar manner as he had when I had tried to take him swimming. He'd hated swimming and had clung on so tight he left little red hand prints on my arms. I might not be the fun one, but I know where I am needed.
Anyway, when he's older he'll be the one feeling embarrassment and I'll... probably still be cleaning up his mess but I know I'll still be needed.

In other news..
We gave him a lollipop today, he'd been a good boy. He ate it without incident, but did end up rather sticky. Andy is still cleaning him up and has described the residue as quite sticky. Joseph is, in Andys words, "like a pile of glue". There is still plenty of de-sticking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment