Wednesday 11 April 2012

Of Blankets and Coasters

Today has been a day of hiding heads under blankets.
It went cold in the afternoon, it clouded over and threatened to rain. Then, it did rain.
I put the gas fire on and snuggled under a blanket to warm up. I tried to give Joseph a hug, but he wasn't in the mood and squiggled about. Rather than risk another serious nose injury as I'm not sure I've fully recovered from all the others yet, I decided to play it safe and put him down.
He played with his duplo for a bit and then came to shout at me. I have no idea why he does this, but he does love running up to me and shouting Da! Da! at the top of his lungs. I tried to calm him down, but to no avail. He saw my blanket and was immediately interested. He looked under the blanket and then over the blanket, chattering all the time.
Then he cottoned on to the idea of hiding his head under it. I did the same and this resulted in much baby giggling.
A little while later I needed the toilet and nipped upstairs. Joseph got hold of the blanket and stuck his head under it again.
When I came back there was a blanket mound in the shape of a baby. All that remained on view was a bright orange tip of a socked foot sticking out. He was laughing and so did I, I even took a picture and sent it to Andy, pointing out that our son was growing up into a total loon.
He slowly extricated himself from the blanket, laughing all the way. It's odd because the first time I tried to play peek-a-boo by putting a blanket over him, he cried and has often reacted badly if he's felt he can't get whatever it is over his head off very quickly.

Sometimes when I sit with him on the sofa he will sit and be cuddled quietly. Other times he will squiggle and wiggle, he will clamber about and generally cause havoc. Today it was a bit of both and he kept reaching out to the shelf next to the sofa where I put my cup of tea. It was empty at least and he wanted to play with it.
I took the cup off him and he played with the coaster. He likes playing with coasters, there's a wooden one in Grandmas house that he plays with all the time. He got hold of my cup again and started putting the coaster down and the cup on top of it. It was very cute.
Some while later I needed to start cooking dinner. I left him in the living room, well aware to be on my guard now as he has worked out how to open the door into the kitchen.
The door opened. He chattered to himself, there was a soft clump sort of noise and then he turned and walked away. I looked down and saw in the middle of the kitchen floor, a coaster with my mug placed neatly in the middle of it.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Joseph. Show Mummy how untidy it is to leave mugs around the place! Absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete