Monday 12 March 2012

Separation Anxiety

This Sunday, Andy was rather unwell. I went to church on my own and coped with Joseph to start with, but what with beating a hasty exit as I was running rather late, I forgot to pack any toys.
So, rather than put up with nearly two hours of stress, loud "No!" shouts and chewed hymn books I decided to try him in the crèche. The children all got up to go out to Sunday school and I followed with Joseph in the buggy. Hey, when you're small enough to be wheeled about you might as well enjoy it. If I'm ever an old lady in need of a wheelchair then I shall enjoy every minute of not having to exert myself. Why Joseph makes such a fuss when I strap him in, I have no idea. Doesn't know when he's lucky sometimes.
We got to the crèche room and I thought things would go well. The toys were got out and Joseph immediately went for the big big bag of big big bricks. This will be fine, I thought. He loves bricks and he loves stacking stuff. He got in the shopping this week and started stacking up my tins of mackerel!
 I slipped out and enjoyed most of the rest of the service, believing that a big bag of plastic shapes would prevent me from being missed too much.
Alas I was wrong. Within a few minutes of me leaving him he began to get nervous. He started looking around and generally sounding unhappy. He started whimpering.
Soon, the whimpering became crying and the crying became rather too full on to cope with. They did their best, those lovely girls that run the crèche. They're a calm bunch, but Joseph wore them down. One of them slipped back into the meeting and gently asked if I might come and retrieve my unhappy son who now bore more resemblance to an over ripe tomato than a little boy.
He's been fine every day I've left him with Granny. Perhaps an unfamiliar room with unfamiliar people was just too much to ask, although I really did think the plastic blocks would help. I'll give it another go next week and this time I'll stay with him for a bit.
Today he's been quite demanding of cuddles, lots of arms waved in the air at me. What's annoying is then when I pick him up or sit him on my lap like he seems to want he very quickly gets wriggly and fidgety and wants to get down. As soon as I put him down then up go the little arms and out comes the whine.
An interesting point - when you type the word creche without the little hat over the e then one of the options the spell checker offers is "screeching". Perhaps it's been to a crèche!

No comments:

Post a Comment