Saturday 3 December 2011

Missing Him

Before I start, which is the correct spelling - counsellor, counselor, counciller, councillor, ....
I've looked in many versions of the Bible and found these four different versions of the same word. Counselor was the most common but my spell checker doesn't recognise it.

It was the great Christmas event at my Church this weekend. I spent most of Friday (the afternoon and a chunk of the evening) decorating the hall, laying tables and putting out my hand made centrepieces. I  love being creative, I love making new things to hang on the ends of the curtain poles and I love coming up with a new festive design for the Sunday School board each year. The kids are supposed to put stuff up on it all the time, but they seem to have got out of the habit and I do the Christmas stuff. Last year it was candles and poinsettias, and the year before I painted a large white dove which lasted all the way through till the following September until it literally fell off the board. I think the design simply wasn't Christmassy enough and nobody felt too bothered by its presence even in the summer.
This year I've trodden more of a traditional path in that there are stars and a Bible verse, namely Isaiah ch 9 vs 6, hence the bother with the above mentioned word. It's in the spirit of the season but shouldn't cause offence if I'm lazy and don't bother taking it down.
Joseph spent the afternoon with Grandad. He volunteered for the job, as he had holiday left and needed to take it. I don't think the exact nature of the task sank in until minutes before I was about to leave having denuded my parents garden of the climbing ivy. Joseph had laid a stinker and I was running a little late and didn't have time to change him. Poor Grandad, I think Joseph gave him a bit of a tough time in the end.
Andy picked Joseph up and phoned me up at bed time to say goodnight. Hearing his happy little gurgles made me actually quite unhappy. I had been very busy and hadn't really had time to think, but I realised I missed him and his cute smile and silly giggle. I missed his little feet and the way he'd get bored and throw toys at me. Ahhh...

Today was the event itself. It was lovely. People really seemed to like all my hard work and nobody stole a centrepiece, which is always a bonus. The food was sumptuous and delicious, the desserts were divine. The speaker was interesting and the whole thing was a resounding success.
When I got home I found a frazzled Daddy and a grumpy Joseph who, as it turned out, was missing his Mum as he calmed down when he saw me. I felt guilty and happy all at the same time when I realised.
Joseph has also been something of a Hobbit today. He doesn't have big hairy feet and live in an underground house, but he did get two breakfasts due to a breakdown in communications. Andy couldn't work out why he hadn't wanted his lunch, but this explained it.
The usual order of things has been restored for now, but next weekend promises to be all topsy turvy again as it's his party weekend. Squeakers at the ready....

No comments:

Post a Comment