Saturday 24 December 2011

Christmas Eve

I'm having a think through of all the things I need to do today and praying that none of the things that can go wrong actually do.
We're a bit unlucky in that way, over the years we seem to have attracted more than our fair share of things going bang (or "phut" or "Eeeee..eee...eee....ump...) especially during the festive season. On Thursday evening I was playing a computer game. I feel I had earned the right to some down time, I'd had a long day at work and we'd got Joseph safely to bed and Andy was grilling me some sausages for my tea.
I hadn't noticed the smell, probably something to do with the sizzling sausages. I love the smell of sausages cooking and it was a bit of a distraction. Andy wandered in and pointed out that something "smelled hot". This might sound a little odd to anyone who doesn't have a large amount of computer experience, but they do indeed smell hot when they are just about to....
"Phut."
It died and even when left to cool down it did not want to re awaken. I was unhappy, Andy was annoyed. We took a guess that it was probably the power supply, but there was nothing we could do about it and we ate and went to bed. On Friday I had to have a whole day computer free. You never realise how much you use the thing until it's not there. I do so much on my PC, there are games, video streaming off the web, social networks and this blog of mine. Without it I felt somewhat anchorless and rather glum, especially as I was going to spend the day making some Christmas cards for my family using my die cutting machine that can only work when plugged into my PC.
On the Friday morning we whipped the power supply out of the machine and had a look. Inside we found a small fuse that had a whiff overcooked electronics about it and a distinct black patina on its insides. We had pushed the power supply too far and its little fuse had given up. Clearly with the new kit we had put in not too long ago we just asking too much of the poor thing.
As it was Christmas Eve Eve and surviving the whole festive season PC-less was too much to take, Andy made a special trip to buy a new power supply and thanks to the kindness of his bosses was allowed home early.
Yay! Much ringing of bells, joyfulness and dancing. My husband is home early and the computer is working again and it wasn't the expensive job we had feared. Hurrah!
A few years ago our dishwasher blew up on Christmas day. It made a proper loud bang, it did.
When I was still living with my parents our boiler got tired and died on Christmas eve. My Mum even has a story of her cooker giving up and refusing to work in a slightly explosive style, right before her parents were arriving for Christmas.
Please please, let nothing go bang this year, I don't think I could take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment