Saturday 24 December 2011

Christmas Eve, part the second

Busy day.
The turkey is stuffed and waiting to be put in the oven at 8am in the morning. I have crafted it a bacon carapace to protect the breast meat and I have to admit I am quite proud of it. I didn't want to use the nice farm shop bacon to go on the turkey as the result is usually a stiff shape of dry inedibleness so I thought I would just buy some cheap streaky bacon from the supermarket. They didn't have any so I had to buy back bacon. You can't just slap back bacon onto a turkey breast, it would look silly, so I cut it into thin strips and made a sort of herring-bone pattern on the bird. Lady Gaga would be proud of the result, believe me. Also there are some very happy birds in my Mums garden, feasting on bacon fat and left over bread crumbs from the stuffing. There were a lot of bread crumbs, the birds wont go hungry for quite some time.
I have made a pudding with some seriously alcoholic sponge fingers in the base. Don't eat and drive, that's the message this year.
I have baked biscuits. They're covered in green sparkly icing and are stacked up into Christmas tree shapes and they look quite yummy. I only hope they survive till tomorrow morning, not that I'm accusing any member of my family of being illicit biscuit nibblers.... but I know them all very well and the temptation can be hard.
I made mince pies with puff pastry. They haven't come out quite as well as I hoped they would, but they're ok and I will be putting one out on a plate with a glass of sherry. I'm not expecting Santa, but I think Andy would probably like it as a reward for tidying up the house so well while I was out.
Joseph, in the meantime, has spent the day giving poor Granddad the run around and generally showing off his block stacking skills.
Debbie and Hope were playing and Joseph wanted to join in. Debbie said that Joseph wasn't big enough to know what to do and Joseph gave Granddad a withering look. Joseph knows what to do when it comes to stacking, he will try and stack anything. He took his naps, ate his food and impressed Granny even with that. She gave him a spoon to have a go and with a little bit of help (well ok, a lot) he managed to get some of it into his mouth!
And I was too busy baking to see any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment