Friday 4 November 2011

Strawberries and Bananas are the only fruit

Well, here's a little bit more about weaning and getting my son to feed himself.
It's going pretty well some of the time. He'll happily sit and gnaw on a rusk until it's all gone, but then they're quite sweet, even the reduced sugar versions that I buy. The really sweet thing is that he's started handing me things including his dummy when I was holding him - he put it in my mouth and it was the most hilarious thing ever according to him - and his finger food. Sometimes he's just being sweet and he's tried to feed it to me a few times, but other times he's being.... well, a bit naughty. It's a lot to say of an eleven month old child, surely he hasn't any concept of that yet, but let me explain.
If he decided he's had enough finger food it isn't simply a matter of sweeping the bowl away or crying until I let him off. no, he gets hold of the finger food and drops it over the side of his chair and I can only assume that for him "out of sight is out of mind". Perhaps he thinks that as he can't see it any more then neither can I and I wont make him eat any more.
I have started picking the bits up as he throws them but when I bend down he throws another, clearly thinking that if I can't see him do it then I wont realise what's going on. Now I am in a situation where if I am giving him finger food I have to give him only one or two pieces at a time as that way he seems to get through a bit more of it before it is flung.
Currently he is eating a rusk, the last of his lunch. He's not totally convinced by it today, he's tried hitting it on his food tray, the chair and the table. I'm not sure what he's planning to achieve by this, apart from a lot of crumbs in a lot of places, but there you go.
He's never been too much of a vegetable fan, he tends to get bored of carrot very fast and spuds are only really useful as a bulking agent. He's even not a massive fan of chips! He'll have one or two, but only if they're crispy fries. No, where things are going well with his diet is fruit.
For breakfast he has half a banana, chopped up. Sometimes he has it with some baby breakfast cerial and sometimes with porridge. Either way the banana is good. The only problem I have is gauging how many to buy as I'm never sure if Andy or I will suddenly have a banana craving in the week or not. I have run out of bananas half way through the week before but on other occasions I find myself looking at a heap of brown soft festering banana on a Monday morning.
Strawberries always go down well. He can't feed them to himself yet, which is a bit annoying. He generally needs them quartered to be small enough not to gag on, but he can only manage to pick them up whole. Perhaps now his front teeth are pretty much through he'll be better, but the strawberry season is over now and I really must switch him to something cheaper. Saying that, given the odd weather we've been having it wouldn't surprise me if there's a southern farmer desperately clinging on to his poly-tunnels because the strawberry bushes are still throwing up the odd fruit here and there. Two of my rose bushes are still flowering - in November!
I think I'll get some of those mandarin segments in cans, I used to love those as a kid. I don't think he's up to real oranges yet, too much pith and chewy bits and pips.
Well, Joseph is really making a meal out of this rusk. There seems to be more of it crumbled to dust around him than in his mouth. Guess I'll have to vacuum again.

No comments:

Post a Comment