Wednesday 9 November 2011

The big day....

The invites have been made and distributed. Plans are afoot and I have done a trial birthday cake as I've never used roll out fondant before now. The cake seems to have been something of a hit, I took it to a Mums group and almost all of it went. I'm sure all of it would have gone if one little boy had got his way, he really wanted some more but his mum very sensibly decided that any more would spoil his lunch. I'm sure there are lots of  little boys out there who would rather lunch on sponge cake than anything else, but it's not what you'd call a nutritious meal. I have managed to discipline myself and save a small slice for Andy. It's only a small slice and I don't feel too guilty that it's small, he's said himself on many occasions that he prefers fruit cake anyway.
I've even had a couple of responses to the invitations already! Clearly the prospect of a jungly themed party is attracting some interest, it will certainly be a break from the relentlessness of Christmas.
I'm hearing more Christmas music than I would like. It's only November, and early November at that and there are already so many ads on the telly that are so relentlessly Chrismassy that it makes me want to vomit. I know the festive season is probably closer than it feels, but I really have my limits. Some retailers simply don't get that with all the forcefulness of the marketing that most people are sick to the back teeth of Christmas well before it arrives. This rather takes the fun out of it and sure makes it less likely for me to waste my money on anything festive.
Also, has anyone else noticed that the awful Slade classic actually has hidden messages in it? If you play it backwards through a filter it says "Noddy Holder is the Dark Lord of Beltane".
Enough Christmas rant save for this one point - in America the main purpose of thanksgiving is to keep Christmas at bay for a bit longer.
At least I've got a good distraction in the shape of my little boys anniversary of arrival. There will be fun, balloons, jungly games and jungly mask making. There will be cake, but there will be nothing Christmassy about it. Right, I'm going to order the paper plates for the party. Bye now!

No comments:

Post a Comment