Monday 25 July 2011

New Mum Laziness

Well, it's the lack of sleep.
Ha! In my case, not even that, Joseph has been sleeping through for quite a long time now, we've had only one broken night in at least four months, possibly longer.
I think it's just the lack of any break. Even if you get a quieter afternoon and you can spend more time sitting down, your mind is still always on the job constantly thinking about the little one and any possible trouble he might be getting into rolling around on the floor. You just don't get any days off!
Dieting doesn't help, although it has gone pretty well, I'm about 5lbs short of my target weight now, so I'm getting close, it's just slow! When you're trying to eat less than 1500 calories a day it's not exactly an energy rich experience. The main problem is I've been cheating a bit too much recently, probably because I'm so tired. I am lethargic, groggy and my temper is short, little things getting on my nerves far more than I'm used to.
All in all, it means you get lazy.
I'm trying to keep on top of the basics like cleaning and washing, but with a 7 1/2 month old baby it's hard to stay tidy! He's really getting into everything which makes staying tidy even more imperative, but even harder! Still, at least now I have a vacuum cleaner that's light enough for me to be able to lift, the old one was hopeless!
So, today we are clean and the washing is done. Instead I have compromised on my own hygiene - I need to wash my hair, but decided that vegging out on the sofa watching Wallander on the IPlayer was more preferable during Josephs nap time than taking a bath. I should point out that due to bathroom refurbishment a shower is not an option and I actually quite hate taking baths, they leave my skin all itchy and uncomfortable.
The other area of compromise is food. How many times have we had cook-in sauce this week? I really don't know, I have quite lost count. At least we're not having takeaways every other day, but it's nearly as bad. Now when the funny little puppets appear in a TV advert break and ask  : - "When's a your Dolmio day?" I can confidently reply - "Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays!"*

*and sometimes Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Sundays we go to my Mums for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment