Friday 1 April 2011

Four Months

You know, I never thought being a Mum could actually be a lot of fun. I was expecting the broken nights, the tiredness and all the other negative things, but it had not occurred to me that I would actively enjoy the experience. That, now I read it back to myself, sounds a little odd and rather sad!
He does so many things that if anyone else did them, I would be rightfully angry at them. He wakes me in the night, shouts and screams and dribbles on me. I wouldn't go so far as to say I really enjoy finding that whilst he's been sitting on my lap his nappy has leaked and soaked into my trousers, but I simply can't get annoyed at him. He's my son and he needs me and this means more to me than I could have possibly imagined before he was born. There are things I will never forget, his first proper smile at eight weeks old and the first time he stopped crying simply by me picking him up to cuddle him. He does that a lot now, he cries out simply for a hug! Even if I'm in the middle of something heinously complicated and I have to stop because he's unhappy, I don't mind! I pick him up and he calms down and all is forgiven and forgotten. Andy has said on many occasions that nothing cheers him up like a smile from Joseph. He comes in from work utterly tired out, sits down by Joseph who responds with such a big smile! It doesn't matter what sort of day you've had, if you come home and your four month old son acts as if simply seeing you is the best thing that ever happened to him, you're going to feel better!
Right now he's sat next to me in his bouncy chair, kicking his little feet, chattering and grinning at me. I'm glad he's in a happy mood as I'm feeling quite rotten, I have a nasty head cold that has gone to my chest and I am coughing like a forty a day smoker. There's nothing like a happy baby to cheer me up and take my mind off the mucus monster that is eating me up.
He's developing well. He can support his own head now which mean we can play lots of bouncing on the knee games and he's discovered both his hands now and sits quite happily rubbing them together as if he's plotting something! He's focussing well and is getting much more accurate at grabbing his toys, which he can hang onto properly now. Everything is going mouthwards, I'm used to finding toys with soggy fur. You can very clearly see the two teeth in his bottom gum, two large pale lumps in the front.
Well, got to go. An ominous noise has erupted from the nappy region, guess I know what he was planning!
Just a quick additional note - Andy came home from work feeling very unwell. He and I have had quite a bad cold and he's very busy at work, unable to rest. Andy starts bouncing Joseph on his knee and Joseph starts laughing, his first proper laugh! That made us both feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment